Technical Writer/Content Developer
OffWhite specializes in integrated marketing services for life science, biotechnology, pharmaceutical and industrial and technology companies. We provide content marketing solutions for a wide variety of B2B clients. This position differs from other technical writing positions as the content produced does not solely include instruction and equipment manuals or other internal instructional documents.
Our writer positions demand not just the ability to simplify the complex, but also the skill to navigate the weeds and select elements that embody the essential. Successful writers in this field must already have strong writing proficiency and understand content marketing. Analytical thinking, a deep curiosity and the proclivity to deconstruct are also indispensable skills.
- Complete all of the above in a dynamic, challenging workspace, with shifting priorities and deadlines, with teamwork and enthusiasm.
- Willingness to work at a distance; limited amount of work will be face to face with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs). Heavy use of conference calling, GoToMeetings/WebEx, field work and other means of indirect interaction are to be expected.
- A self-direction to the business side of your work is expected; an understanding of timelines and constraints, sufficiency vs. perfection, and scope of work are a must. Navigation and understanding of client organizations – either as part of a team or on your own – are important.
- Commitment to carry out work in a manner that utilizes planning and information systems to schedule, communicate, and account for your work and its interaction with other elements of the firm.
- Perform cursory research in advance of interviewing SMEs
- Prepare outlines and information maps in advance of content development
- Write preliminary drafts for review with SMEs, clients and OffWhite staff
- Manage compliance with client and/or industry specific lexicon
- Edit, standardize or revise material prepared by other writers or subject matter experts
- Write protocols, technical reports, white papers, application briefs, case histories and other content marketing pieces for clients or tools for use in internal and customer education and training
- Manage outsourced writing alliance partners in project-specific work
- Build PowerPoint presentations, new product releases, and other writing in support of internal and client customers
- Map and outline websites, existing and new
- Break from technical writing to assist in blogs, social media content, content optimization, and other projects typically associated with business-to-business marketing
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Five years’ related experience
- Writer first, ability to learn and self-teach second, and ability to deliver clear, concise and common sense copy third
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and other Microsoft Office programs of use in preparing drafts such as Excel, PowerPoint
- PC or Mac
- Must have the ability and patience to stop, learn and explain before moving forward in a subject matter area, even when on deadline
- Technical writer must write in a concise and easy-to-read manner
- Must demonstrate listening skills, form questions and seek answers where appropriate
- Able to work with new material or information to grasp its implications
- Must be comfortable learning about new technology without the need to become an expert in all of its layers (We work with many clients in many markets. Their SMEs are there to help us help them.)
- Curiosity about how things work
- Thorough understanding of English grammar, syntax and punctuation
- Proficiency in editing and proofreading for specified style and with respect to nuances of tone and meaning
- Ability to help create infographics, matrices, tables, charts and other language shortcuts to minimize copy required to explain features, functions and benefits
- Familiarity with Adobe InCopy
- Previous experience in life science, technological, industrial or scientific environments a plus.
Offenberger & White, Inc. (OffWhite) is an integrated marketing solutions company based in Marietta, Ohio, USA.
©2018. Offenberger & White, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms and conditions of use apply.
P.O. Box 1012, 521 Fort Street, Marietta, OH 45750. 1-800-606-1610 or 1-800 OFFWHITE.